Sunday, July 5, 2009

This is my second favorite blog post ever!

As I've grown older, the concept of "picking favorites" has kind of fallen out of my mind. Used to be I could say things with 100% confidence. "Earthbound is my favorite game." That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

These days, when I hear or read "this is my absolute favorite game" or "my top five favorite books are...", I am left on the sideline wondering how one decides which is the Best. Clearly, this is not a matter of objectivity at all, so I will leave that for never-to-be-seen-again-in-this-post.

I have a very hard time consciously comparing things. I can't will myself to do it. Obviously, subconsciously I will sometimes think "X author is better at writing Y situations," "A game developer makes better games in the B genre," etc. But none of that really matters to me. I can try to compare things consciously, but eventually I just decide it's not worth the trouble. It is either enjoyable, or not. It is either worth experiencing, or not.

Certainly, there are a number of things which I hold near and dear to my heart, or what have you. Mother 3 (the sequel to my previous beloved, Earthbound), for example, is "one of my favorite" games. Yet, I can't actually, truly place it on any scale. It's not number 1, or number 100, or anywhere in between. It's just one of those games I will always love. In much the same way, I love the series of books known as Discworld, or the Indiana Jones movies (even the fourth one, which people hate for no good reason). I'll always eat a good pizza. Gnarls Barkley really tickles my groove bone. These are just facts of life. But there are so many more things I love, and I love them all.

Just as I have trouble deciding if one thing is better than another, I have even more trouble deciding which is the best. That is, I simply can't do it.

Granted, sometimes I'll get caught up in the moment. I know about a year ago, I would pretty frequently say exactly the following words: "Team Fortress 2 is my favorite multiplayer game." It really is a fantastic game,and I enjoy myself 90% of the time I play it. 5% of the time I'm loading maps. And the other 5% I was miserable before I started, and there's no saving me then. Every time I said this, I was excitedly talking about the game with friends and filled with emotion. I didn't put any thought into it.

But maybe that makes it truer than if I had taken the time to think about it? It is, after all, an entirely subjective statement, and the core of subjectivity is emotion - how we feel about things. If anything, though, such a statement is only indicative of how I feel at that point in time. It doesn't necessarily carry on past that moment.

Besides, those reactions occur quite frequently when I talk about the games I love. Super Smash Bros., Legend of Mana, Super Mario Galaxy, Day of the Tentacle, the aforementioned Mother 3... And any time I slow down and think about it, I remember all the great times I had playing any number of different games in any number of different genres.

Oh well. It's not like I'm upset about my apparent inability to pick a favorite. I'm-a just keep on, keepin' on, content with my gigantic umbrella of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment