Wednesday, July 29, 2009

oh geez

Two nights ago was perhaps one of the more genuine Japanese experiences I've had in the past four months.

It was a welcoming party for me and two other gaijin to the company dormitory. (The other two had actually been here for two months already, and if I understand correctly are going back to America in only a couple weeks. A little late, p'rhaps?)

It was a drinking party. Nomihoudai. All you can drink. Along with several courses of tofu-centric dishes. Some shabu shabu. It was all good food. Would eat again. But the drinking, goddamn. PROTIP: if you don't want any more, do not empty your glass. Probably seems obvious, right. I just have a habit of always eating or drinking what's in front of me.

I'm having a hard time remembering it all. But, uh, I remember some things.

Apparently, for a "massage" I should go to the Mos Burger street late at night.

At one point I was asked if I liked American girls or Japanese girls. I answered truthfully: both. They found this hilarious. "At least you answered honestly!" Oh! Okay no problem!?

Later on, they asked if I had a girlfriend. I again answered thruthfully: no. Then they broke out in rapid Japanese conversation for a few minutes. I don't know what that means.

But hey, after much drinking, it was time to go. So go we did; up and outta there. I didn't have to pay, 'cause they were awesome and it was my welcome party I guess!

Upon leaving the building, I don't remember much. I think they asked if I liked karaoke, and I probably said yes, and maybe I like The Beatles... it's all very fuzzy. A typical drunken stupor.

But then! This old lady emerged from some deep, dark cave, eyes alight with greedy delight at the prospect of luring our drunken souls into her den. Therein, she would proceed to drain us for all our worth! Well, all their worth. Once again, they told me I didn't have to pay a dime. Or yen, as the case may be. I was only too happy to oblige, considering I don't think I could have counted out the money I needed at that point.

We followed her inside a building, and I was informed this was a karaoke bar where the girls sit with you and pour you drinks while you enjoy the karaoke. We sat. Girls surrounded us. I was told "that girl is going to sit between us" so I stood and let her sit between us!

I vaguely remember selecting and singing The Beatles, Come Together in a super hoarse and completely terrible voice. I more vividly remember singing Green Day, Basketcase with one of the guys I was with. I very vividly remember the lyrics on the screen being wrong. Reason being, back when I was super into Green Day, I remember the lyrics in the CD booklet ALSO being wrong. For one line in particular. Or at least it always sounded wrong to my ears. Maybe Billy what's-his-face just slurred the hell out of it. "Am I just paranoid? I'm just stoned!" always sounded more like "Am I just paranoid? Am I just stoned?!" to me!

Anyway, aside from that, I only remember one other thing at the place. They kept pointing to the woman "between us" and shouting "your mother, yo mazaa!" I think. When I finally figured out they were saying it, I asked why, and they asked how old my mother was.

D:

Then we walked back to the apartment building and to our respective rooms. I remembered harrassing internet denizens unashamedly for about ten minutes before I passed out. Oh boy.

Long story short: I was drunk, in Japan, with Japanese people, on a Tuesday evening. Hurray! (?)

2 comments:

  1. togblog never disappoints
    UNTIL NOW

    I miss you buddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! I got asked if I like Japanese guys or American guys better!!!

    ReplyDelete