Thursday, September 3, 2009

Home, home on the range

Hah, I used to sing that song all the time when I was a kid. I don't know why. Now all I can remember is that and "where the deer and the antelope play!"

Oh wait, here comes more. Joggin' those memories.

And seldom is heard, a discouraging word, and the skies are not cloudy all daaaaaaaay!

My range isn't like that. My range is stuffy and confined and involves lots of textbooks and tests. And seldom is seen a deer or an anteloupe.

But I am soon heading back! My time in Japan is nearing an end. I'm excited to return to the land of my ancestors, where instead of hunting deer and antelope, we raise domesticated animals to slaughter and consume them.

Not so different from Japan, I guess.

How will I fare with the change in environment, though? I am currently reading Pyramids, by Terry Pratchett. In it, a prince goes off to a distant city, the great Ankh-Morpork, to study the gentlemanly ways of the assassin. Upon his father's death, he must return to his homeland and take the throne. But he now thinks of Ankh-Morpork as his home!

Will the same thing happen to me?!

The answer: no, of course not, stupid. I'm not a trained assassin. Or a king! And I've only been here for six months.

Still might be awkward for a bit, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment