Friday, August 14, 2009

My first day in Kyoto!

The Shinkansen was an uneventful but delightfully swift experience. I did manage to snag a few shots of the quaint Japanese rurals and rice fields here and there. Most of it will turn out rather lacking in grandeur - of this I have no doubt - but the subject matter was interesting enough to me, nonetheless!

Perhaps more interesting to the casual observer: I partook in a couple Gomer Pile (hah wow has it been a long time since I heard that or what) moments after arriving.

First, I rode the bus. I knew it was the right bus, but when it arrived at my stop, I... uh... I didn't get off. The directions I'd read to the hotel prior to leaving for Kyoto said "get off at the Kiyomizu-do" stop. Up came "Kiyomizu-michi" and then I didn't get off 'cause it wasn't the same name. Oops.

Back at Kyoto Station...

This time I decided to hunt down a bus route map, to be sure. It worked; this time I exited the bus at the proper location.

THEN I looked at the map I'd drawn from-bus-stop-to-hotel. After looking around, I realized my map wasn't going to work so well. I don't know why I thought it would work. It was hastily drawn, and I had absolutely no bearings or landmarks to go by... It also looked to be a considerably longer walk than "one minute from the bus stop."

After interrogating a Family Mart clerk (who, despite his best efforts, was unable to help my stupid ass), I came to the conclusion that the map I'd drawn was for the walk from the TRAIN station and not, in fact, from the bus stop. Oops again.

Luckily, Amenity Hotel turned out to be just a little down the road. A minute, indeed.

I decided not to do any sight-seeing tonight, and instead opted to just wander up and down the street a bit - get the lay of the land, as it were. For dinner, I ate a rather large bentou consisting of fried rice, chicken, uh... other stuff? It was delicious, if that helps?

P.S., I am writing this using hijacked power from the TV in the little corner of the box in which I will later sleep! O:

No comments:

Post a Comment