Tuesday, August 4, 2009

BLAST FROM THE PAST pt. 4

I still love photography! :D

I alluded to much of what I said here in my first post. I still feel that way, but in a different way. Now I'm used to all the little things. I expect a much bigger culture shock upon returning home. A reverse culture shock, if you will.

Obviously, in the end I got a job after the eight week class. It was all worth it.

03/25/09 - DAY 3 IN JAPAN

It's been three days since I landed in Japan. Well, three and a half. It's time for some real words of wisdom. Still dealing with jet lag, and all his walking around every day certainly isn't helping with the whole early sleep problem I've got.

But who fuckin' cares. I'm not fooling anyone, even myself. Best fuckin' thing I've ever done. On top of visiting another country, I've discovered that yes, for a fact, I really do love photography. Think I'm going to take some sort of photography class to fulfill a BOK requirement or something. Or just shove it in anyway. Also, first things first when I get a real job: invest in a better camera. Point 'n' shoots are great, but sometimes you have more time than that. And during those times...

Yeah. I love it here. Definitely intend to come back some day in the future. Maybe after I graduate from Digipen. Or if I can't get into Digipen, maybe I'll try to do something with JET. Dunno, we'll see.

Strange, though, how I don't really feel like things are out of place. Well, not the big things. Seeing almost nothing but Japanese people almost feels... normal. On the other hand, seeing at least 6 or so black people today down Harajuku street -- when I'd only seen 1 total in all the time before that -- was pretty bizarre.

Anyway, yeah, nothing really Feels That Different, even though I know it is, logically. It's mostly the little things that stand out. Like here, instead of walking on the right, people walk on the left to avoid running into each other. Escalators everywhere -- LINES to these escalators.

Really hate the showers though. Not the fact that they're public -- although I do hate that, too -- but more that they're not constant running water. You have to sit and rinse yourself off and hold the shower head and... yeah.

Nothing feels different, but it all is. Maybe it hasn't really hit me yet because I'm still living in the hostel with 10 other people from my class in America. Maybe it'll hit me after this two-week class is over. Maybe not, since I'll be in another eight-week class, with two of the people from this class. OR maybe I'll have a job if my adviser can get it done.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment