Monday, June 15, 2009

Things I can't do

As much as I appreciate the opportunity I have to visit Japan (and now Korea), it's somewhat annoying that I can't do certain things I would be able to if I was still in America.

Aside from the more basic desires to play some heavy-duty PC games or Wii or 360 or whatever, there are other things I can't do. Of course, I can't see any of my friends back in America. I wouldn't say I'm homesick, exactly, but I definitely miss things from home.

First and foremost on that list lately is that I want to make a game. I ache to make a game. When I think about making a game, I get that fluttery feeling in my gut, you know? Excited butterflies, though, not nervous! I have so many ideas in my head and on paper. I just want to get crackin'!

Frustrating, though, is that I'm somewhat restricted in what I can do while I'm not in America. Mainly because I don't work alone. Nor do I want to. Furthermore, the discussion aspect of game development is so much better in person. Doing it online via instant messenger just isn't enough for ironing out the details.

So, in the end, I'm quite limited in what I can do in terms of game development. Where does that leave me? I'm not sure.

One of the areas we're (we being me and my one friend) certainly lacking talent in is art. Neither of us are any good. I can't speak for him, but I know that at least I can envision perfectly how I want things to look, but I can never match what's in my head. I never even come close. I mean, let's face it - I don't have the talent. If there's one talent I wish I had that I don't, it would be art. Drawing especially.

Alas, since I don't have the talent for it, if I want to be able to do it, I have no choice but to work until I gain the skill for it.

If I had a choice for learning a specific type of art right now, though, it wouldn't be drawing. It would be pixel art. I absolutely love pixel art, and it would help a lot in making some of the games I want to make! I've tried it before...


This is something I made... I dunno a year or so ago? Last summer, right before school started. It's for a game we call Spacebat. A shmup. This is Spacebat. He is made of space! It took me a long time to make it. A long, long time. Pixel by pixel, I copied the silhouette of what a real bat looks like. The animation needs some serious work. Maybe I should even make the silhouette more stylized, too. I'm not really sure. I also made some other assets for the game, including the logo for the first level.


Nothing is particularly spectacular, though I am a fan of the way "Ice Age Earth" turned out.

So! Since I'm severely limited in what I can do for game development while in Korea/Japan, AND we are severely limited in our art department, AND I've always wanted to learn, it would probably be prudent to start learning! I've got some tutorials in my bookmarks toolbar up there, ready any time I want to start.

But the problem is starting! Starting is hard.

1 comment: