Tuesday, May 19, 2009

193cm of Pillow

I sit down on the train, as I know I have about 15 minutes before I will arrive at my destination. Looking around me, I see children, I see adults, I see everything in between. I feel like I belong, for lack of a better word. If there are gaijin-stares, I don't really notice them.

Soon it is time to get off the train.

As I unfold from my seat on the train upon reaching, I am as a giant among the masses! Towering over my helpless victims, I consume all I see! They are nothing compared to me. Nothing!

I am not entirely sure what the average height of the Japanese male and/or female is, but I would say more often than not I am more than a head taller than the people around me. Because I am living in a country built for a race smaller than me, I have to be careful. Even the door to the showers in my building is almost half a head too short for me. I have to duck every time I enter or exit a train. When I climbed Mt. Takao, I banged my head pretty hard on a bar that was holding up a fence along the cliff side.

Ah, it's tough being tall.

Of course, naturally, Japan has its own giants, too. It is incredibly jarring to see someone as tall or taller than me. Almost ruins the immersion, like... Wait a minute, I'm not really in Japan! You got me! You're a kidder, you are! Then I remember I am a giant, too, and everything is right (or wrong) in the world again.

---

Oh, and speaking of trains -- today I sat down as usual on the way home. Then this guy sat next to me. A different kind of guy. I guess he was tired or something... Kept fucking falling asleep on me. Once some space opened up elsewhere, I moved seats. Then he moved to my seat, which was on the edge (and more comfortable).

That asshole!

1 comment:

  1. in japan, i heard they are mostly short.

    you should tell them you play basket-ball

    ReplyDelete