Sunday, March 16, 2014

A patently juvenile adult

Well, so much for a weekly story, huh? The follow-up prompt was "marbles", which I never wrote anything for. Whatever.

Moments ago, I made the decision to actively write down anything I find personally interesting. Whether it's just an observation or a wandering thought, if it intrigues me on some level, I write about it. Not necessarily here, on this blog, just in general. Make a simple note. "Hey, here's a thing!" Well, I was immediately struck with one thing, which is... a bit ridiculous. Since I'm at my computer, I figured I'd write it up on this blog that only I read.

At some point during my education at DigiPen, I made a decision to write something on the white board of the computer science master students' computer laboratory. This action occurred on a regular basis, and everyone participated. Sometimes legitimately, sometimes just as a dumb joke. Anyway, the word I wrote was the intentionally-misspelled "BUTS", in all-caps. I'm, as the title of this post suggests, patently juvenile. I do stupid things because they amuse me. In this particular case, there's something about purposely misspelling the word "butt" and making it plural. It's somehow better than spelling it correctly, at least, comedically, at least, for me, personally...

And now it's just sort of become a thing I do. Anyone I speak with regularly has heard me say "buts", but they may assume that, in my head, I'm spelling it correctly. Anyone I have regular conversations with via text will eventually see me type out "buts", often out of nowhere, often without real reason... I mean, I even frequently use it as a greeting - a sort of "hey are you there" probing of the victim. It's stupid! I'm 26 years old. And I can't stop.

Why do I do it?

I DON'T KNOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment